Monday, March 1, 2010

The 1st of Many

Drew has been having some difficulties listening lately, not sure what he did with those "good" listening ears but hoping he finds them soon.... today was a LONG afternoon of not listening for various reasons, and I finally decided I needed to put my foot down and start following through with what I say. Kevin had to work late, so I took the kids to dinner, I needed to get out of the house, despite the poor behavior. The enforcements began at dinner, Drew always gets a peppermint pattie when we leave "not today", then he tried with the quarter machine "not today", once we were in the car he cried, then off to Meijer, as we walked in I heard him say "I'll get a treat here". We got the few things we needed, and proceeded to checkout, again no treats, then he asked for a ride on the horse "Sandy", "just one ride, please Mom", I've been a good boy. And the final loss, he did not get something out of the quarter machine on the way out. He threw a screaming fit all the way to the car, and inside the car, then I heard the dreaded words I always knew would come some day "I HATE YOU", I realize it is the 1st of many. I kept my cool, and responded with "That's ok, you'll love me someday". Thinking back on my life growing up, I realize that was my choice sentence to my Mom... not sure why, but it always slipped out so easily. Once we got home Drew did not want to talk to me or anyone, he went straight to his room. After a little while, Kevin went in to talk to Drew and explain some new rules, and why he needs to listen. Drew came down and apologized for his behavior, and for saying "HATE". I asked him if he knew what "HATE" meant, and he said he did not... so obviously it is just a word he has heard before.
So for now we will write this down in the book of firsts, hope its the last, although I am sure it will not be.

2 comments:

  1. Sadly, I can guarantee it won't be! Mike tells me all the time that if I never heard that, then I wouldn't be doing my job. It's funny I remembering saying it to my mom and thinking it devastated her. Probably not since it almost makes me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OUCH! We made a rule in our house that the kids can't say "I hate" but of course they get around it in other ways... When Joe had a frustrating day the other day (not sure if you read about it on my 'days' blog) we had a conversation and I told him in this life, no one will make him as frustrated as I do... but no one will love him as much either! I think the two go hand-in-hand! Hang in there mama!!!

    ReplyDelete