Thursday, February 19, 2009
On our way to HEALTHY (I hope)
Today Drew had his surgery at Great Lakes Surgical Center in Southfield. His surgery time was 7:30am, but I would say finally got underway about 8:10am or so.... we were worried that the surgery would not happen, since Drew still has a cough. The anesth. listened to his lungs though and said they sounded clear, and that the decision was ours, he just said recovery may be a little rougher, since he already has a cough - but given his situation what are the chances we could actually get him healthy for 3 weeks to plan it. Considering Drew has been sick since November it was not likely, so we went ahead.... When we first got there, Drew was allowed to pick a stuffed animal, he got to choose from little Ty animals... Drew chose a Hampster, since he did not already have one at home, its name is Reese, and he was instantly attached to it! Then they put us in our own private room with a TV and Drew got to watch Madagascar, which was nice to help him forget about where we really were. Shortly before they took him back, he was given some tylenol and a medicine to make him feel less anxious - it worked fairly quickly, and Kevin and I were cracking up at his behavior, it was funny! and we even got some funny pictures on our phones (wish I knew how to get them off). Then it was time to take him back to the operating room to be put fully under, to our surprise only 1 parent was allowed to go, Kevin said I should go, but I wanted him to go... I was anxious about seeing Drew like that, just laying there. I feared it would remind me too much of seeing Kiersten & Brooklyn when they were lifeless, I was affraid of seeing Drew in a similar way, I know he would be alive, but of course being put under just scared me anyway. BUT... I ended up going back with him, and it was pretty sad. I held his hand, and he fighted it, imagine him laying on the table looking like he was running, finally he was asleep, his eyes were rolled back. I was just sad to see. I got out of that room as quick as possible, got to Kevin and of course cried. We waited for the doctor to come out and say Drew was out, he said it would take 30-45 minutes. It was so reassuring when he walked through that door and told us Drew was good. He explained that the adenoids were large and the ears were hot, red and swollen - he got the adenoids out, and the ear tubes in! he did mention the tonsils were red, but he did not take them out, the recovery is worse, so not sure if thats why or if he just wants to take the wait and see approach. When we got to back and see Drew, we could instantly hear him screaming, when we walked in nothing could console him, he was like an angry tiger... no exaggeration, he was moving all around, kicking, hitting, trying to rip his IV tube out... it was pretty bad. They said all kids react differently, so I assume they had seen this behavior before. Finally, the nurse just took the IV out, b/c he was not giving up and was getting tangled in the cord. He eventually realized if he wanted to go home he needed to drink and calm down. Which he did, and we left. I was actually a little amazed he did not have to stay a little longer for observation. As soon as we got in the car he fell asleep and slept the whole way home. Now he seems to be doing ok, he is tired, so we are snuggling, eating jello and watching Barney. I am hoping this surgery will at last get my little boy feeling good and back to normal. Thanks all for the support and prayers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Poor guy, I hope he's back to his normal self in no time!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad everything went well and that YOU made it through as well. My heart broke tonight as you spoke as well. Thinking of you always!
ReplyDelete