Friday, March 13, 2009

So I told the boss the news....

In past pregnancies we have always generally told people we were pregnant as soon as we found out! well this time around we were a little more secretive with our information, and sorta told people as the time felt right. Aside from us having added fears about this pregnancy, we have also not had a smooth ride thus far - with the declining progesterone levels, then the subchorionic bleed, etc. I would say that everyone we generally speak with knows the expecting news, well except Drew and until yesterday my BOSS. I was waiting to tell him for a few reasons, one being I wanted to wait until I was in a what felt like is a safer zone, things looking more on the bright side and the other for fear of losing my job. I have worked for the company for almost 7 years, and in that time I have had Drew, a miscarriage and the girls. When I informed my boss that we were TTC again, he was surprised, and said "Well I did not think you would be having more children, but need to tell you that the company can no longer offer maternity benefits", personally I think it stinks, but I am not going to let that stop me from adding onto my family. So he wished me luck and that was that. So yesterday, there was finally no one around and I figured it was the best time to tell him. So I did, and honestly it did not go over as well as I had hoped, he said things like "Oh", "how pregnant are you", "when is due date", "reminded me of no maternity benefits", "asked when I would be working until", "said we would meet in 30 days to discuss my progress of when I might be working until" - I reminded him that I do not know how long I will be working until, but that my plan is to work until delivery, and that its play it by ear. He did not like that so much.... so not exactly sure what is going to happen here. I wanted to remind him that the day I delivered the girls, I worked all day, went home and realized in the evening something was not right. Anyway, I am glad its at least out in the open and he can do with it what he wants. On a more positive note, I received a call from a HV, HUGS nurse on the drive home yesterday, she was informing me she came across from photos of Kiersten. I was shocked! so excited, it was the last thing I expected almsot 1 1/2 years after the girls were born. She said they were the professional ones, you know the ones they take of newborns... I had NO idea that photos like that were taken of the girls, but was estatic to get the news. I of course cried tears of joy after I got off the phone, picked Drew up from school and off we went to the hospital to pick them up. I got there, and found a nice little package they had put together, with 2 sweet poems one for mother and one for father, and the photos, but as I looked at them.... I began to realize this was not Kiersten, but rather Brooklyn. The nurse called the company sure that they must have some of Kiersten as well, however sadly they did not, they were not taken. I know she felt bad, and I said it was ok. While I wished so badly they were of Kiersten, since we don't have as many pictures of her, I am so thankful for these photos of Brooklyn - to think they had been in a drawer somewhere all this time.. I am SO thankful Sheri found them, and actually so thankful for the timing, it was just the pick me up I have been needing.

2 comments:

  1. What!?!? No maternity benefits??? Isn't that illegal? Don't they have to offer you maternity benefits? That is outrageous! Your boss is unbelievable. I'm sorry it didn't go well for you.

    But at least you have some new photos! I hope you post them to LAMBS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also believe if he let you go because you were pregnant he could get into major trouble. By law he has to give you time off paid or unpaid. I would start logging anything and everything that goes on at work.

    ReplyDelete