Monday, March 30, 2009

Drew's 1st Visit to the Dentist

Drew is now 3 1/4 years old, so I figured it was time to take him to the dentist. Personally, I am not a huge fan of the dentist myself, something about that scrapping the teeth sound really drives me nuts! Since I know how important healthy teeth are, I do want Drew to like the Dentist and not fight me on going. I knew I wanted to take him to a Pediatric Dentist in hopes it would be extra kid friendly, so I looked around and asked around and found one. Before leaving this morning he told me he was going to be bad, because he had never been to the dentist before, I could tell he was nervous. So I was a little nervous, and told him if he was good he could get the rake & shovel he had wanted. We walked through the doors, and it felt like the dentist office palace, the coolest of toys, kid stuff and of course a Disney movie playing on the flat screen. Finally, it was Drew's turn, we entered the room which was also kid friendly, with the same movie playing on a TV in the room. Drew did not want to sit on the BIG chair, but they had this cool set up, which allowed me to sit on the chair, Drew sat on my lap facing me, he laid back on this foam board, and onto the hygenists lap. So he could see me and hold my hands. He cried/ screamed a little at first, I could tell they were quit used to this behavior, I just prayed he would calm. Dani the hygenist was awesome, and he did calm down, she checked & cleaned his teeth, then Dr. Jason came in, checked him out - 10 teeth on top, 10 on bottom- perfect! he did discuss his jaw and said we would keep an eye on it, see Drew's top teeth go behind his bottom when he bites down - so possibly early corrective braces, but we shall see. No surprise that my kid would need braces, considering I had them and his Dad could have used them a little as well.
It was funny the hygenist was telling Drew how he did good, and he was like "NO, I did'nt" she was like "Ok you did'nt do good", that made him happy. We left with his treat bag in hand, full of a new toothbrush, paste, dino flossers, stickers and a special slinky from the Treasure Chest. So I guess it was not that bad afterall for Drew or Mommy - and "YES, he got the rake & shovel", he deserved it, his first visit and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment