Thursday, November 6, 2008

Daycare Day#1

Well since Drew will be going to the same facility as his preschool, we just told him that since he is such a BIG boy he was moved up to the next class, which involves going everyday/allday. He seemed to take this news semi-ok, not thrilled by any means. He even tried negotiating that he could just go to mimi's or papa's and I could just pick him up after school - he's pretty smart for a not even 3 year old yet... So anyways, I woke him up around 6:20am for "school", he said he was tired and wanted to sleep. He finally woke up, we moved onto getting dressed, which is ALWAYS exciting with Drew, as all he ever wants to wear is baseball shirts. (Over the weekend I took him shopping and let him pick out a few new things, as I knew mornings would be oh so joyous around our house, so I figured if he got to pick the clothes out, things might go smoother). So back to the story, I had a feeling Drew still would have selected a baseball shirt, so I pulled out 2 shirts and a pair of pants, I told him that Daddy picked these clothes out for him (since he wants to be just like his Dad), but he could choose the shirt, he said why did daddy pick this Handy Manny shirt for me, I said "oh probably because daddy will be working with tools all day", Drew said "oh really, ok I will wear that" (I was SO excited he actually wore something other than baseball and there was no arguing, he was actually happy about it). Next we moved on to doing other things to get out of the house, things went pretty well (especially for a 1st day - those of you who have toddlers know what I mean). We pulled up to "school" and Drew says "I don't want to go to this school, I want to go to other one" (he meant the other facility we looked at, but had I taken him there, he would have said the same thing -you can't win with a toddler). So he was protesting in the parking lot (which is always embarrassing), finally we made it into class and he got real quite, and stuck to me like glue. We put away all of his things, I took him to the potty, and the teacher got him breakfast (he chose kix & a gogurt), I sat with him for a few as it was his first day and I could tell he was scared. Finally it was time for me to leave, I grabbed the door, and Drew called me back for another hug, he then leaned on to me and started to cry, his teacher Ms. Ashley was nice and came over and sat with him and they watched me as I left. I called throughout the day to see how Drew was doing and he sure was happy to see me at pick-up time. All in all he had a decent day, he watched from a chair as the other kids had circle time, he would not eat lunch or take a nap and he did not go to the bathroom all day long! His reasoning for not eating or napping, was that he did not do those things at his other class..... so we had to have a chat, here is hoping that Day#2 goes a little better for him. When we got home he enjoyed playing with his toys that he had missed all day. All things considered I think he his handling the change very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment